A bit meta, since both the art and the logo depict a two tailed mermaid with a crown, and the two circular light sources in the piece resemble the circular light in the room and the logo itself.
Contrast: Whales at the Power Plant
Yes, that’s a Wyland whale mural on the side of a power plant. This plant in Redondo Beach, California is set to be decommissioned when new environmental protections go into effect, and the city and plant owner have been debating* the future of the site.
*To put it mildly!
Originally posted on Instagram with a different crop/filter.
It’s a Big Rock
They don’t have a rock this big.
Links: 1.0 Releases, Sci-Fi and Science Fact, The Missile that Wasn’t
- Matt Mullenweg on Apple, WordPress & tech release strategy. 1.0 Is the Loneliest Number
- Robert J. Sawyer on the relationship between science fiction and science fact: The job of sci-fi isn’t to predict “THE future,” but “to suggest a smorgasbord of possible futures, so that society may choose the one it wants.”
- Mystery California missile turns out to be a contrail lit by sunset, seen almost end-on so that it looked vertical. The photo actually reminds me of a contrail I once saw.
- A fun recreation of George Seurat’s painting, A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jette. The photo was staged back in 2006, but I hadn’t seen it until it popped up on Reddit a few days ago. I find it amusing that people have been posting lyric fragments from Sondheim’s Sunday in the Park With George in notes on the photo. There’s also a side-by-side comparison of the painting and the recreation.
Links: Unconventional Art, Private Browsing, Scott Pilgrim
Some recent linkblogging. (Thank you, StumbleUpon)
- Video: the return of the adorably deadly Mini Cannon (set to “O Fortuna,” no less).
- Miniature Art on the Tip of Pencil by Dalton Ghetti. It’s like a combination of painting on a grain of rice and wood carving. (via StumbleUpon)
- Cool: Art using Rubik’s Cubes as pixels (via StumbleUpon and @designboom)
- Where Science, Art and Photography Intersect – 25 fascinating photos done with long or multiple exposures with flames, light, water and more.
- How Star Trek designers envisioned the iPad – 23 years ago!
- Just how private is private web browsing? Maybe not as private as you think)
- Scott Pilgrim movie trailer recreated with panels from the original comics! (via @radiomaru)
- Scott Pilgrim Versus The Unfortunate Tendency To Review The Audience – If you don’t like the movie, that’s fine…but is it really necessary to insult the people who do like it? (via Comics Worth Reading)