For November 2013, I decided to try NaBloPoMo and post every day this month. I’d been getting all the NaNoWriMo emails, and while I didn’t have the time or story ideas (and Katie’s covering the “writing a novel” thing), I was a little nostalgic for a writing challenge. Today wraps up my participation in the event.
I learned two things about daily posting:
- It’s not as easy as it sounds, unless you’re willing to count the equivalent of a Tweet or Facebook status as a blog post.
- I would rather write fewer, higher-quality posts than more, lower-quality posts.
That quality vs. quantity issue especially bugged me when it came to my ongoing Les Miserables commentary. Those take a couple of hours to put together, and as a parent with a full-time job, free time is at a premium. I can think of a number of occasions when I sat down to work on my next article and realized no, I need to get a post up today, and I don’t know if I’ll have time to finish that one. Some of the resulting posts are worth it, including a few where I would have written a short note, but found that I had a lot more to say on the topic. Some, I’d probably delete tomorrow if I didn’t want to keep them up for the record.
I thought I’d do a breakdown of this month’s posts:
11 Life observations
5 Les Misérables
4 Trip to San Francisco
4 Local city observations
4 Comic conventions (the actual Long Beach con, wondering about WonderCon’s future)
19 Substantially new content at this blog only
4 Built around previously-posted photos (mostly from Instagram)
4 Short commentary posts linking to other content (3 of which were at least to my own stuff at another blog)
3 cross posts (two at Speed Force, one at Reading Les Mis)
I only resorted to blogging about blogging twice (except to fill out the links to my Les Mis articles and give them a little more substance), and only once did I just toss up a random photo to make deadline.
Full list (or if you prefer, a standard blog view of the posts):
- Escape from LA(X)
- Ghosts in the Cave (Related: Eerie at Parallel Lines)
- Time to Read
- I Left My Trash in San Francisco
- New Les Mis Commentary: Gavroche’s Anonymous Family
- Nighttime HDR Test: Yerba Buena Gardens
- Airplane, leaving me to my own devices
- Catching Up on Les Misérables (Related: Argot at Re-Reading Les Mis)
- First Stab at WordPress/MySQL Tuning
- Hotels and the Illusion of Simplicity
- Somebody Hears You
- WonderCon in Anaheim for 2014, Long Beach Comic-Con Next Week (cross-post at Speed Force)
- Android App Crashing on Start? Clear the Cache
- Mobile: Design for Offline
- Duct Tape, Foil and Cardboard
- I Watched Three Les Mis Parodies Last Night (cross-post at RLM)
- Feeling Sheepish
- Important* Information† About Your‡ Account!**
- Daily Posting Observations
- A Walk Outside
- Feedly 404 Feedback Loop
- Light and Shadow in LA: What a Difference a Day Makes
- It Came from the Long Beach Comic & Horror Con 2013
- This is why I can’t see stars anymore
- Learn to Park!
- WonderCon Wants to Go Home (cross-post at Speed Force)
- Not Exactly Bifrost
- Les Mis: The Home Stretch
- A Month of Daily Blogging: NaBloPoMo 2013 Round-Up